Kat and Rebecca came to Korea to visit me. After graduation we were all off on our big adventures in Australia, Singapore, and South Korea. Who would have thought that 1.5 years later we'd reunite in a foreign country? They stayed for about 10 days and explored more of Seoul than I did in the past 4 months. They explored together (or alone) while I was at work and we met up after to hang out everyday. Here are some snapshots of our time together.
Finally together again. All smiles! :)
And Kat brings Australian goodies!
Cafes
I spend A LOT of time in cafes here in Seoul. I was happy to have the chance to share this with Kat and Becks. This is a cute little cafe near NamSan called "Antique Cafe". Cozy and warm. A perfect spot to share a cup of joe on a cold wintery night.
Seoul Tower in NamSan
This tower is on the top of a hill (NamSan) in the center of Seoul. Many Korean dramas and movies were filmed here. You can see a pretty sweet view of Seoul here at night. We took a cable car up and oohed and ahhed at the night view.

Love padlocks - a tradition in many countries.Couples bring locks, write their names on it and lock it on the fence to symbolize their everlasting love. A sign warns you not to chuck the key off the tower. I wonder how many people got maimed by love keys.
Love padlocks - a tradition in many countries.Couples bring locks, write their names on it and lock it on the fence to symbolize their everlasting love. A sign warns you not to chuck the key off the tower. I wonder how many people got maimed by love keys.
Since it's christmas, they made chirstmas trees out of the love locks too. Here we are with my coworker.
Streetfood
They tried tons of street food here. Here we are eating my favourite one in Korea, 호떡 (ho-ddok). It is a round chewy pastry filled with brown sugar, peanuts and cinnamon, flattened and fried on a griddle.
Bars
A group of my good friends came out on Saturday night to hang out. We stayed out all night and the girls got to check out 4 or 5 bars. They sampled all sorts of Korean alcohol including Soju (straight, and also with kiwi, pineapple and yogurt), Makgeolli (korean rice wine), Mae Hwa Su (plum liquor), and beer.
Becks and I at Angus, one of our favourite bars at the Gangnam district.
The ladies at a random bar at Sincheon.
Hiking at Gwanak-San
The girls are nuts and after drinking all night, we woke up (late) and decided to go hiking in Gwanak-San, a hill 15 minutes away from where I live. My buddy Nick joined us on the hike. Thank goodness for Nick, we would have gotten severely lost or injured without him spotting us. We did not plan for this hike and went decked out in leather boots, uggs, and down jackets.
Some parts were really steep and there was no way to climb up except to pull yourself up (and then down) with this rope.
Near the top.
Nicholas and I.
The sun was setting and the view was beautiful.
Korean Food
My stomach was REALLY happy while the ladies were here. I had 10 days to show them what Korean food was all about. It definitely was not enough. We never duplicated a meal and they enjoyed every single bite. We ate many of the things that I talked about here, and tried some new stuff together too.
This is rotisserie chicken bought off a truck. Yes, the first picture is actually the back of a truck. It drives around and usually parks near the market. Ive been meaning to try it for some time, what better time than with the girls? 2 whole chickens for 13000 won (approx 12 CAD). It is STUFFED with glutinous rice, and comes with honey mustard and seasoning. Juicy, perfectly cooked, and absolutely delicious. I can't wait to get my hands on another one.
KamJaTang (potato pork bone stew) with Rebecca and my coworker.
Grilled strips of steak. The moat around the grill is filled with korean side dishes (kimchi, bean sprouts, green onions, etc) and then filled to the brim with an egg mixture. YES! An EGG MOAT! Steak and eggs with grilled garlic. Can this be real life? The 5 of us ate 7 orders of meat, 2 bowls of noodles and 2 bottles of pop and paid only 11000 won (10.50 CAD) each. I love Korea.
Dad comes for a business trip
Dad was here for business and was really busy but we had time for a couple dinners and of coures Becks was invited!
A 20(19?21?) course meal. Got to sample a lot of good Korean food.
Chocolate cafe with Ani! YES! ANI WAS HERE TOO!
Barbecued beef ribs and steak. MmmMm.
다음에 봐:)
We didn't have pictures of a lot of other things we did (shopping at MyungDong, lots of food, etc.) and the girls went exploring a lot on their own (tried traditional clothing, palaces, fish markets, etc.) while I was at work. Ask them if you would like to see their pictures!
But just like that, the days have come and gone. I am completely drained of all my energy and money. But I have a perma-smile on my face now, thinking about the past 2 weeks with the most incredible roommates a girl could ask for. It was like we were never apart.
A little piece of Australia from Kat. Thanks for the note in the sand.
Rebecca Poh, Katrina Foo: Next stop, Australia! <3








No comments:
Post a Comment