I set up a pen pal system between my students here in Korea and a school in Canada. The students were SO excited. I only had about 90 spots available and about 600 students in Korea. Students lined up for over half an hour to try to sign up to get a penpal.
90 lucky students were matched with a Canadian buddy and started writing their letter late October. They poured their hearts out onto beautiful Korean stationary.
Haha I love reading their letters. "She is ugly." with a Korean translation -> I can teach Korean Language.
What a pleasant greeting!
Koreans like Abba? Who knew?
Ready to be sent out!
From the day they submitted the letters to me, they came to my office EVERY SINGLE DAY to ask if the letters have arrived yet. It doesnt matter what I tell them. It doesn't matter that it was impossible for the letters to arrive 1 day after I mailed ours out. It doesn't matter that I just told them 1 hour ago that it hasn't arrived yet. They just kept on coming. Me and my stupid open door policy at my office.
Soon enough, I was anxiously awaiting the letters too.
After what felt like an eternity (probably about 1 month in real time), they finally arrive!
A box full of love. How very exciting!
How cute are they?!
Some of them came with gifts - stickers, friendship bracelets, pencils, and of course, yu-gi-oh cards.
My student came up to me and asked me how to answer this question: "Are you black people or white people?"
This is such a great experience for the students. I have never seen them work so hard and so excited before. They are researching about Canada, reading, writing, and speaking to me more than ever. I am so excited to see their next letters. It makes me smile just thinking about their faces as they received their letters and their excited voices as they tried to read their penpal's notes out loud.
How lucky am I to be a part of this?





No comments:
Post a Comment