One thing I LOVE about teaching in Korea is the unity between the teachers. We all pay a "friendship" fee every month. And with this pool of money, we just go out to play together. What a brilliant idea! Yesterday we went on a staff hiking trip. Most of the staff came. We taught from 9am-1pm and cancelled the rest of the classes (kids got to go home) just so we can go hiking. How cool is that? So after a day of teaching, we all hopped on a bus to start our 2 hour ride to our hiking destination.
I'm in Korea, so of course they gave me a cup of beer right when I got onto the bus (followed by some soju and makgeolli - korean vodka and rice wine). Koreans LOVEEEE to drink. Of course, I told them I was allergic to alcohol and they still had no mercy. I drank a little bit and begged the teachers around me to save my life.
A bus full of teachers. Off we go!
Beautiful fall colours. A perfect day for hiking. 18 degrees.
Of course, there was a temple about mid-way up the mountain.
Some parts were really steep. There were stairs here so I could stop and take a photo. Some parts were just rocks. We just had to climb! I was the youngest staff member there but I looked like I was struggling more than the old lady hikers. Koreans LOVE hiking. They went hiking decked out in hiking shoes, hiking outfits and hiking sticks. Either way, it was all worth it because the view from the top is spectacular...
At the top! Yayyyyyy!
Then we made our way back down. Here are 3 of my closer friends from the school. They are an incredible support to me.
And off to the staff dinner at the bottom of the mountain. We had bulgogi (beef) and the food was fantastic as always.
I am still a little sick, so by this time, I was exhausted. A cold + almost a full day of teaching + 2 hour bus ride + hike up and down the mountain + staff dinner = extreme exhaustion + a big headache. I couldn't wait to get on the bus to get some shut eye.
I got onto the bus, and quickly closed my eyes. Quick! Before somebody engages me in conversation! I closed my eyes and in about 5 minutes they even turned off the lights for me. Ahhhh, thank youuuuu.
Then suddenly, this happens.
By the end of the bus ride, I thought I was going to pass out. 2 hours of loud singing, cheering and dancing is definitely a bad choice of medicine for a headache. Thank goodness a kind coworker bought me pain killers and walked me home to make sure I made it home alive.
Goodness gracious, I love Korea.









No comments:
Post a Comment