Today, my coworker and I decided to try out Mies Container and Cafe Pawz - 2 highly recommended and popular spots according to the blogging community amongst expats and locals alike.
Mies Container - "Hooters for Women" according to CNNGo
http://www.cnngo.com/seoul/eat/new-factory-style-masculine-restaurant-has-young-korean-women-standing-line-181317
True to CNN's word, the line was endless. We planned to go at 3, way too late for lunch and way too early for dinner, yet the line was just as long. Nonetheless, we were already there so back of the line we went!
We got in after a one hour wait. Thank goodness it was warm today. The inside was decorated like an old factory. The shelves were lined with vintage American memorabilia and random objects from spoons to cans of campbells soup. The waiters weren't exactly good looking enough to be a "hooters for women" in my opinion, but it was certainly a different vibe with an all male wait staff. It was also slightly cute and slightly awkward when the waiter asks for a high five from you after serving your meal. They do this for every table.
We placed our order and paid at the counter, and were given a numbered helmet to take to our table to they know where to bring our food.
Our choices: Salad Pasta, Bacon Potato Pizza, Lemonade to share. The food was served in big hearty portions, we couldn't finish it! It was also only a little over $10CAD per dish. Prices aren't bad for such a popular restaurant! The salad pasta was only okay. It is a green salad with spaghetti and tastes exactly as you'd expect it to, no surprises. I was happy though, I really missed salad. The bacon potato pizza wasn't really pizza. The bottom of the pan was lined with a pizza-esque crust and then completely smothered by cheese and some bacon and potato wedges. You have to eat this with a fork. It was delicious. I really don't think you could screw up anything with bacon, potatoes and a crap load of cheese. But again, no surprises. It tastes exactly as it looks like it would. The lemonade was surprisingly delicious - fizzy, refreshing, and not too sweet.
They were hiring! After some tedious decoding work and some help from my coworker, I learned that they were looking for men who are/have:
1) under 30
2) masculine looks
3) cool character
4) capable of looking excited and smiling even when work is extremely tiring
5) willing to be paid 5000 won an hour.
Interesting Korean fact of the day: minimum wage is only about 4500 won(approx $4)!
Verdict: I am glad I lined up for an hour to try out this place. And I'd eat here again, but not if I have to line up for an hour!
Next stop, Cafe Pawz - a dog cafe.
http://cafe.naver.com/cafepawz
All over Seoul are these little cafes that allow owners to bring their dogs or cats. It is a great way to meet likeminded dog lovers while enjoying a cup of joe. There must have been at least 40 dogs there at any given time from tiny 2 lb Chihuahuas to an Old English Sheepdog. The dogs have so much fun playing with each other. Many of the dogs were really friendly and just went up to random strangers for a snuggle.
My favourite! This big guy just came and sat down right next to me the second I sat down. How did he see me? Hehe. We just sat there side by side, serenely looking out at the cafe.
I was definitely this little man's favourite. He ran off to play once in a while but always came back to snuggle on my lap.
Verdict: I'll definitely be back!






No comments:
Post a Comment