Saturday, January 21, 2012

Harry Potter Winter Camp!

For the past 3 weeks, I have been running an English Camp at my school during the students' vacation time. I've heard that in the past years, attendance has been poor and grade 6s have never participated. So it was a big confidence boost for me when 5 grade 6s signed up and I've had nearly perfect attendance! Each week was a different group of students (grade 3, 4, then 5/6) and the camp was almost the same for each week with minor adjustments for the english level.
I don't have pictures for everything we did but here's a sneak peek at Harry Potter Winter Camp!

When the students arrived at camp. They, of course, had to be sorted by our sorting hat. I recorded the sorting hat's voice saying the four house names and randomized the audio clip on powerpoint before the camp, making sure that each house would get an equal number of students. I put our sorting hat on the kids one by one, and the "hat" would announce their house, just like the movie! The students were so nervous and excited. One of them even whispered "not slytherin, not slytherin..." just like Harry Potter in the movie. 




I wanted the houses to really feel like a team. So right off the bat, we had a banner making contest. Here are the banners! Left - gr.3, middle - gr.4, right - gr.5/6.










There are many mixed animals in Harry Potter (Centaurs (horse and man), Mermaids (fish and human), Hippogriff (eagle and horse)).  So my grade 3s learned animal names in English, had a brainstorming competition (so their brains won't be stuck on centaurs mermaids and hippogriffs), and then made their own  mixed animals. Here is a deer-turtle and a snake eagle.





Magic Keychains - (shrink art). We draw on large pieces of acetate with an oil based marker, put it in the oven, and watched them warp, twist, and turn, and shrink into little keychains.





Scavenger Hunt - In their houses, students deciphered clues ("Harry Potter is thirsty. Where can you get him some water?"). When they arrive at the correct location, they look for a tiny happy face sticker to confirm that it's the right place. They take a group picture pointing at the sticker to prove that they've been there. 




Great Hall Kitchen - students made ddokbokki! (Spicy Korean rice cakes with cheese). The children were SO cute in their little aprons.





Potions Class - We made 3 potions. Higher level students wrote a simple lab report  (materials, what happened?, etc.)
1) Students dropped raisins in sprite (they sank - and in about 10 seconds they float for a moment before sinking again). They pointed their wands at the raisins and said "Wingardium Leviosa!" again and again until they successfully make their raisin levitate (float). The students got REALLY into it. "TEACHA!! I DID IT!!!"
2) Baking Soda + Vinegar. We all know what happens. But apparently, korean students have never done this before! I gave students spoons of baking soda. They waited for my Ready - Set - Go!! and all dropped the baking soda into cups of vinegar. The screams of delight were heard throughout the school. 
3) Ooblek - cornstarch + water. When you move it quickly, it is a solid, when you move it slowly, it is a liquid. Students loved this. They would move their hands quickly, make a ball, and play catch. If they slowed down for a second or missed, it turned into a messy puddle. 





Diagon Alley- students earned wizarding money throughout the camp. Good behaviour and game victories earned them galleons, sickles, and knuts. Students could also bring in 2nd hand items from home and trade it in for money. On the last day of camp, at Diagon Alley, we auctioned off popular Harry Potter items (ties, hats, glasses, wands) and sold prizes along with the 2nd hand items they brought from home. Students used the money they earned. This was great for students to practice their shopping-English. "how much is this?"





Other activities include: 
Harry Potter missions: teams get sent on a series of 14 missions (brain teasers, pictionary, puzzles, unscrambling words, ring toss, etc.). They get 3 life lines (skip, do it later, and hint). Race to finish the missions!
Movie: Of course, our students got to watch Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone. This was shown throughout the camp. 
Muggle Qudditch: Chasers try to score, Beaters use dodgeballs to hit the person in possession of the ball, and Seekers look for tiny little clear beads in the gym to end the game.
Harry Potter Golden Bell: a game show type quiz game popular in Korea. 

Upon graduation of Hogwarts, students received this certificate.



Wish I could post more pictures here, but I am reluctant to post pictures of my students. I made a quick video for the staff at my school to watch. There is video footage and pictures of my students, including their priceless reaction during potions class. Send me a message on facebook or here if you'd like permission (on fb) to see the video - I have it restricted right now!


Camp was SO much fun. I've truly enjoyed the past 3 weeks. Wish everyday was camp day!










1 comment:

  1. You are so creative Claudia. That's awesome. Wish I could come to Harry Potter camp too! :p

    ReplyDelete