Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tales from the Seoul subway

So many interesting things happen on the subways here, or perhaps I just spend too much time travelling. I've been meaning to record these experiences, but I always forget. Here are some fun facts about the Seoul subway system to start it off. I will continue to share my subway stories as they happen in the future!

1) There are 16 lines.

2)  In the winter, the seats are HEATED! Yay for warm bottoms.

3) When the train arrives, music is played to announce its arrival.

4) Most trips cost me about 900 won only (about 80 cents CAD)

5) Quite often, blind people will walk slowly down the entire length of the train, playing sad music from a cd in their bag, holding out a box for donations.

6) Sometimes people will push a cart onto the trains and start selling stuff (including pants and shoes)

7) According to wiki, the seoul subway system is used for well over 8 million trips daily.

8) Also according to wiki,  3,879,000 passengers use line 1-4 daily. I live on line 2, the most heavily travelled line.

9) Most trains are outfitted with an electronic subway map, with a flashing light to show you where you are.

10) Many subway stations have lots of shops inside. There are so many good stores that I purposely go to certain stations to go shopping instead of going to a mall.

11) Despite the fact that these trains are used millions of times each day, they remain to be 100 times cleaner than toronto trains.


________________________________________________

On January, Friday the 13th, for the very first time, I could not push my way out of the train when I arrived at my stop. Though I was pushing with both hands, elbows, and possibly my face, while screaming "excuse me" in 2 languages, the crowd opted to look me in the eye and push me right back onto the train. Koreans are honestly the nicest, most hospitable people ever. 
But the normal rules don't count on the subway. On the subway, it's war. 
Worst commute ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment