Friday, March 16, 2012

Kaitlin's Song

Not a regular Korea post but please read on if you have a minute!

Kaitlin Boyda is a girl from Lethbridge, Ontario, Canada, who was diagnosed with cancer when she was 16. She was granted a wish from the Children's Wish Foundation. Kaitlyn cancelled her original wish, a trip to New Zealand, and requested for funds to build wells in Uganda instead, so that children there could have clean water to drink, and an opportunity for girls to go to school. Amazing. She passed away last year at the age of 17.

But her legacy lives on.
https://www.compassion.ca/donation.asp?intid=57&intredirectid=215

A music producer and some talented musicians wrote a song in her memory. It is currently the #1 song on iTunes (US and Canada) in the inspirational charts, and has been for over 10 days. All proceeds from the song goes directly to Kaitlin's Legacy.

I met the producer of this song very briefly in university and learned about this from his facebook updates. Cancer is unfortunately not an unfamiliar word in my family, and Compassion Canada (the organization that Kaitlin's Legacy goes through) is the company I sponsor children through since 2006.  So this song really touched a place in my heart.

So please check out this song. Buy it, contribute to Kaitlin's Legacy, or just listen to a great song!



Extras:
It's sad, but it's hard to tell whether a charity is credible these days. If you are thinking about donating to Kaitlin's Legacy, or thinking about sponsoring from Compassion, here is the financial breakdown of the company if you are interested.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3555

I personally think Compassion is a great organization. My sponsored kids have greatly benefitted from the program, with letters and pictures as proof! Here is one of my children growing up. Meet Patrick.:)

 


He's a cutiepie. I watched him grow up, and I suppose the other way round too. I was such a proud mama when he first learned to count and drew me a picture with numbers on it. And so happy when he sent me a letter congratulating me when I finally became a certified teacher. 


No comments:

Post a Comment