Monday, March 19, 2012

My new hobby: GEOCACHING!!!

I have always LOVED scavenger hunts. I love decoding the clues, the thrill of the hunt, and the excitement I feel when I finally find something. So can you imagine how excited I was when I heard about geocaching? People all over the world have been setting up a GIANT WORLD WIDE scavenger hunt for me all my life and I didn't even know!

 Cat and I heard about "Geocaching" from a friend on facebook. The moment I read about it, I knew I would love it. Immediately I downloaded the app on my iphone, and made an account online. And surprise! There are two caches (what we're looking for) RIGHT AT MY STATION! A cache is usually a waterproof container. Inside the container is a log to keep track of everyone who has found the cache. Sometimes there is even a tradable souvenir.


We followed the GPS and the compass leading to our treasure, but we just couldn't find it. We decided to come back the next day. So the next day (today) we went again after work. And today, SUCCESS! (warning: spoiler alert! don't read on if you intend on looking for caches around here)

 We followed the GPS to the correct building. The hint was: Fill it with air. We found a bicycle pump. GETTING WARMER!! We stared and stared. Where on earth can somebody hide something here? After 15 minutes of sticking our fingers into every crevice we found on that bike pump, cat brilliantly decided to look UNDER it. And lo and behold, a little green waterproof package, stuck on the bottom with a magnet! Our names are now permanently in the cache, along with everyone else who found it before us :D.




Next up, our GPS lead us to exit 8 of our station. This is my exit, I walk by it everyday. How could something be hiding there?  Hint: beware of electrical shock. We saw these electrical boxes (whatever you call them). This had to be it! 


 

We looked around for so long. Two girls walking around electrical boxes, just staring. We looked so suspicious. We just couldn't find it. Then suddenly, I saw it...


Brilliant!!! Hiding as a bolt, it was a tiny gray container, stuck to the box with a magnet!



You cannot even imagine how excited we were. How awesome is it that these little surprises are hiding EVERYWHERE around us? I walk by these places EVERYDAY! 

Cat and I are definitely going to keep searching for them around Korea. But they're not just here, they're ALL OVER THE WORLD! And ANYONE can find or hide them. What a great way of connecting all of us together.

If you are interested, check it out! http://www.geocaching.com/default.aspx It's free and I guarantee you will have so much fun. Whether you are reading this from Canada, Australia, Singapore, USA, or England, there are probably lots of caches hiding everywhere close to where you are sitting, right now. 

Happy hunting!











No comments:

Post a Comment