My excitement was mounting as we got closer and closer to Seoul. Cat and I were taking pictures, talking with other teachers, pointing out popeyes chicken(woohoo!) and beer and chicken places.
Then, we turned into the school where our co-teachers are waiting for us. I was SO nervous! I grabbed onto cat's hand as we turned into the school slowly and stopped. We stepped out of the bus and instantly, a flock of Korean women made their way towards us. Korean teacher galore! I waited until somebody walked up to me. "Are you Kel-law-oo-di-ah?" I turned around and looked at her. She looks nice! Hooray!
3 teachers from my school came to pick me up. We drove straight to the school where I got to meet all the staff. It is an incredible place, I am so lucky! Although I couldn't understand most of the teachers there and they couldnt understand me, we were joking around and laughing the whole time. Then I saw my "English Zone". This is where I will have all my classes. I have a colourful room with a whiteboard and a smartboard, a 2nd room where students can do drama activities or read alouds, and an office all for myself. The whole area is all mine!!! I didn't have time to tke pictures today, but I will do so as soon as I can! The school is only 3 years old, and I am the 2nd "Native English Teacher" in the history of the school. THe last one didn't do a good job (I've been told), so expectations are high for me.
After meeting the staff and touring the school, the VP and several other staff members took me out for lunch. I had cold noodles (냉면) and it was delicious! It was my first meal where I had to take off my shoes and cross my legs. My legs were asleep halfway through the lunch. I dont know how they do this and look so comfortable.
After lunch, 3 other staff members drove me to my apartment. My apartment is in a really good area with lots of activity, good food, bright lights, and shopping. However, it is a low-rise apartment in a small street off of the main street. I am nervous about walking home, especially because I have to pass by two (love) motels on the way home. You can't see into the windows of these motels, they are covered by heavy, sketchy curtains (eek!) Other than that, the inside of the apartment looks decent albiet small. Pictures below.
After they drove me to my apartment, they took me shopping! We went to buy bedding, pots and pans, house cleaning products, blankets, tissues, shampoo, etc. And they paid for everything! I was so surprised when they told me that the school was going to take care of all the stuff I need to settle down. What a pleasant surprise! It was also really nice because they really CARED about me and the stuff I was buying. The male teacher was working so hard to choose the perfect bedding for me. All of them were arguing about the material, colour, and patterns that I should buy. He kept on trying to convince me to get pink floral bedsheets and I just refused and chose blue ones instead. They bought me summer blankets AND winter blankets. The female teachers helped me choose out lots of kitchen gear, even though I doubt I would cook much with this tiny hot plate and counter top. They even bought me something to repel mosquitos!I couldn't ask for better co-workers.
Here are some pictures I took today.
The main street, close to where I (and Cat) live. Cat and I live within a 5 minute walk from each other. I'm so happy! She got the nice place though. =P
Guess what this is. I'll tell you at the end of this blog entry.
My bathroom. It's tiny, and the shower is the entire bathroom. When I shower, evreything will get wet. I guess I never have to wash my toilet again=P.
And here is the rest of my apartment. The last picture is my "kitchen". My kitchen consists of a sink, a washing machine, and a hotplate ontop of a counter. Who wants to eat out with me?
Did you guess yet?
The picture above is a LIBRARY! You just scan your library card, and take out a book from one of the drawers! Awesome. I found this INSIDE a subway station. I love korea.








Looks great Claudia. Makes me miss Korea again. At least you are small and can sit with your legs crossed, it was brutal for me. You should be fine walking home, crime is low in general and people in love motels want discretion not to go after others. Keep up the blog it is great.
ReplyDelete