Friday, August 19, 2011

Day 3

Workshop after workshop. "Making English Comprehensible", "Lesson Planning 1", "Secondary English Curriculum".

The workshops are actually really good. The teachers are passionate about their topics and the topics are important. The only problem is that it is almost completely exactly the same as what I have studied in Linguistics, Psychology, and Education (my 3 areas of study). I love it, it's interesting, and I suppose it's good to refresh my memory, but it's difficult to pay attention in class when it's just stuff I've been learning over and over again for the past 5 years. 

The best part of this experience is meeting people from all around the world. There are teachers here from New Zealand, Australia, Ireland, South Africa, Canada, USA, and England. It is incredible just hearing about their home countries and experiencing culture shock together. I had a good giggle today when I heard somebody say knickers.  I am also LOVING the accents all around me. English has never been so interesting!


But the most exciting part of today has to be when I finally stepped out of the comfort of Kyung Hee University (where we are currently being trained). My first step out into the real world. I walked to a Home Plus (a department store with everything in it) to buy a hair dryer. Some other teachers from Ireland also came to buy an adapter for their electronics. The people there couldn't understand what they were looking for, and so I got to try out my Korean in its motherland for the first time. I was so nervous and I couldnt string a full sentence together to express what I wanted. But with some gestures and the minimal korean I knew (too small, we need this, we don't have), I successfully communicated with Koreans! YAHOOO!!!


Here is Korea!!!

Kyung Hee University gates.

Our room. I share this with my Irish roommate, Katie. 

Our bathroom, not too shabby!

No comments:

Post a Comment